25.9.06

Phone Upgrade

So I recently decided to upgrade my mobile phone on my phone network. I'm not going to name the name of the network.

I've been with them for three years and have not once had a problem with them, until last week of course. Phone upgrades have always been free for myself and everyone else I know. However, the other day when trying to upgrade they wanted to charge me £79.99 for the phone. I told them that they had surely gotten something wrong as my cousin, uncle, aunt and father (who I all told to go with this particular phone network in the first place) have all recently upgraded, for free, to the latest phones. After much debate I told them I wanted to cancel my contract...

...And it's here where you get your deals ladies and gentlemen.

The moment you tell a phone company you want to leave their network for a rival company because that other company is offering something your current phone company aren't, then they suddenly want to do everything in their power to please you. Which goes without saying really, but it's a shame that it takes something as much as "I want to stop giving you my money now" to do that.

Unfortunately and fortunately for me I didn't get the phone for free, I still have to pay £79.99 for the upgrade. But because I threatened to leave the company they have offered me the next 12 months of my contact (and my contract is 12 months anyway) for half price, which saves me in roughly £180 throughout the year.

Now let's question that for a moment. The phone company didn't want to give me the phone for free, because they presumably wanted the £79.99. However, they'd much rather literally give me £180 instead and keep me connected for another year, thus they've lost around £100.01. Now I'm not complaining because although I have to splash out extra cash now, I've saved £100, but isn't this a bit stupid of the phone company?

The reason I'm not mentioning the phone companies name is because up until this point they've been incredibly good to me with not one complaint from yours truly in the three years I've been with them.

Anyway, after some system errors and about 10 phone calls later, my phone is finally on its way and I can at last get rid of this ageing Nokia I've had for some time now - it's slow, big and ugly.

Sony Ericsson K800i here we come!

No comments: