30.8.06

Gaming Revolutionising?

It's console makers like Microsoft and Sony who seem determined to stop computer gaming evolving into something else. Rather than innovating ideas, they'd much rather stick to high end graphics, fast game play and well, that's it. I've finally realised why I get bored of computer games so much now and it's because they're all the bloody same. No one seems to want to make anything different these days, but with software developers it's down to what they can do, not what they want to do.

For example, the Xbox 360 has a bog standard controller with nothing particularly special about it, except for the wireless thing. Sony's upcoming PS3 controller is just the same as before but with a minute motion sensor built in. Neither of these controllers will allow anyone to do anything outside the norm of gaming.

Enter Nintendo Wii. A bit late with the news, I know, but Nintendo (who I'll admit to bashing for years) have finally created a computer console with a controller than can be deemed a little 'out-of-the-norm', and for the evolution of computer gaming this is the way to go.

The Nintendo Wii's controller doesn't follow the route other controllers run down. The controller comes in two parts - the 'remote control' and the 'nunchuck'. And their selling point on the controller? Motion sensor.

I love how Nintendo are trying something different from Microsoft and Sony. After all, hardcore gamers will surely be getting bored of the traditional games out there now, right? I know I am. I used to be an avid gamer but after buying a PS2 I just wasn't getting my kicks anymore. I figured the XBox 360 and PS3 would bring something new again, but they're just the same old consoles with a bit more power. It's about time they realised that graphics might look pretty but don't equate to making a great game. What's so funny about this on a personal level?

For years I bashed Apple Computer for making rubbish computers, despite their innovation. Until the iMac G4 was released I just wasn't impressed, but they finally did something that stood out and made me (and millions of others) take notice. However, it wasn't until their latest home desktop computer, the G5 (now been updated with Intel processors of course and simply called iMac) that I changed my opinion of Apple completely and purchased one of their machines. After years and years of bashing, I ditched my PC for a Macintosh.

Come the last quarter of this year, I think I'll be ditching my PS2 as well.

No comments: