15.7.06

Superman Returns

As I said in my previous post, my cousins and I took a trip up London to go and see the new Superman movie. In fact, we ended up going to Thurrock (Lakeside) to the My Vue cinema to watch it - fab location.

After an extended play of annoying advertisements and more than enough trailers, the movie began.

All those memories of when I was a child, watching the movies with Christopher Reeve came back to me, the music hit, the lights went out, my heart began to race!

The effects were amazing, the sound was excellent and the acting was top draw. I was a little skeptical that the characters in this new movie would alter slightly compared to the previous and original movies, but I was wrong. Brandon Routh, who plays Superman, portrays the mysterious fella himself perfectly and his acting of Clark Kent is just spot on - the old geeky and slightly awkward Kent is back. Routh actually studied Reeve's performances in the original films so well that at times you forget who you're watching. Kate Bosworth (Lois Lane) and Kevin Spacey (Lex Luthor) both get their characters traits across excellently, helping to forget that this film has been released 30 years after its predecessor.

The plotline is a little basic unfortunately, but I think that's to be expected of a Superman film. The real action is toward the end, with Superman saving a few lives along the way. It shows him returning to Earth after a five year absence visiting his home planet from being told it had been destroyed. He rejoins the Daily Planet, tries his best to rekindle the now awkward relationship between him and Lois and, in an unexpected twist half way through, finds out about a 'little' treat. Let's just say that the Smallville series didn't see this coming and, as such, will now have to change their storyline a little.

The ending of the film definitely leaves a gap open for a sequel and I think there is already a new movie in the works for a 2008 release - this is unconfirmed though.

Anyone wanting to get into Superman, there's never been a better time, and to anyone who is a lover of Superman, well, I'm sure you've been to see it already. Definitely well worth a watch, even for the stunning effects.

No comments: